Monday, February 20, 2012

What do I do with a Toyota Previa that is un-roadworthy?

I have a 10 year old Toyota Previa. I have been told the head gasket has failed, the rest of the car is in very good condition. The mechanic said that it would not be worth fiddling about with an engine that has done 144,000 miles. What should I do with it that will give me the best return.What do I do with a Toyota Previa that is un-roadworthy?only 144,000? we got ours to 180,000 before we traded it in. somebody bought it at auction and it's still driving.



As others have said, get a new mechanic. That car is good for another 10 years with proper maintenance.



If you really aren't sure, check the price on the gasket, and you make the call on if it's worth it or not. If not, sell it for parts. individual parts can make you a good deal of money.What do I do with a Toyota Previa that is un-roadworthy?
get a better mechanic.What do I do with a Toyota Previa that is un-roadworthy?Get an honest mechanic!!!! Sounds like he may be after the car for himself, getting the head gasket fixed would cost a lot less than the car is worth and 144,000 miles is nothing for a toyota.
Even a base model 1997 Previa is worth $5300. It sounds to me like your mechanic just doesn't want to do the work. Call a few salvage yards and see what they would give you for it. Get an estimate from your mechanic, and at least one other, for the repairs. Then do the math and make your decision. If the repair is less than $3000, and you can't get more than $1500 from a salvage, then it would make sense to fix it, even if you simply turn around and sell it.What do I do with a Toyota Previa that is un-roadworthy?Got a feeling the mechanic couldn't be bothered. If everything else is okay, there's no reason why it shouldn't be repaired, serviced and run on for a very long time; whatever happens it's going to be a lot cheaper to have it fixed than to find another one.



I'd get another mechanic's opinion.What do I do with a Toyota Previa that is un-roadworthy?
just simply have the head gasket replaced, if you like the car. Most toyota engines run a very long time reguardless of the number of miles. As long as the car hasn't been beaten, it would probably be worth replacing the head gasket.
Advertise as it is. There will be someone somewhere that needs a good base for their own engine.What do I do with a Toyota Previa that is un-roadworthy?
Toyota engines last for ever.Find a different mechanic,or get the Haynes manual and have a go yourself
Toyatas are known for having well over 300,000 miles, at times. I don't think I'd listen to that mechanic. My ex-hubby was in the car business for a long time....buying, selling, body work, racing, etc.....so, I've learned a few things about the value of a car.



You need to shop around and find a "good ole boy" willing to do the work for a cheap price. Ask around and do a little networking. If you do decide that you just don't want to fool with it....you can donate it to charity. For that fast write off.



Actually, if you want to get rid of it, and live fairly close to KY. I could sure use it! I'm a disabled mom, who hasn't worked in three years....and the gov't still hasn't awarded me my disability. My car really is junk!



Anyhow, I don't mean to seem opportunistic. Forgive me if I do.

But, yeah.....don't ditch it at the junkyard or anything!



Your mechanic doesn't know what he's talkin' about.
I would fix it. Those toyota engines last a long time. Remember that anything that runs is better than a car payment.
Check how much those things sell for on eBay before making a decision.



If the cylinder head hasn't warped or cracked and the rest of the engine is OK, it makes sense to repair it.



144K mi is pretty young for a Previa.
You can donate it to a charity and write off the donation for a tax credit.
If the body is in great shape I perhaps would look for a used engine to swap. Or list the vehicle in your local classifieds or eBay and sell her for a fixer upper. Depends upon if you like the car to put perhaps 800 bucks into it with labour and a used engine.
If u said that the car is in good condition n u still like that car, keep it, Repair it, u only need to change the cyl head gasket, thats not a big deal.. Milesmeter not an exact condition of engine if u change the engine oil n oil filter regularly... hope this advice help u....

No comments:

Post a Comment