Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How do I initiate the 4wd on my Toyota pickup?

I just got a Toyota and I know that a small lever under the shifter is used to change into 4wd but when do I turn the lockers on and what happens if I leave them on after I'm done or if I forget to turn it on (the lockers) ?



Any and all input is much appreciated.How do I initiate the 4wd on my Toyota pickup?If you really mean lockers and not hubs, just engage the lever to shift into 4wd. Locking hubs are at the ends of the front axle in the center of the wheel. you can run with the hubs locked and the transfer case in 2wd for short distances, but you should lock in the hubs before you need them and when you expect to need them soon. Then all you have to do when you need 4wd is shift the transfer case into 4Hi. When shifting from 2Hi to 4HI, you should be traveling straight and no more than the recommended speed listed on the sticker on the sun visor or in you owners manual, and you should not use 4wd on dry pavement (wheels need to slip a bit to go around corners without binding the driveline). DO NOT shift into 4Lo unless you are completely stopped, however.

True lockers lock the differential in each axle to lock each side together, and should only be used for serious wheeling or serious need for traction, except never on ice.

Leaving the hubs locked (transfer case in 2Hi) in just makes it harder to steer, causes a minimal increase in wear, and drops you MPG a bit by forcing the entire front end to turn instead of just the hubs. You may have auto hubs, if so disregard hub info.

+ what Muffhugger said. Thumbs up!How do I initiate the 4wd on my Toyota pickup?The locker button is to only be engaged in offroad conditions. The locker switch will only work when the 4wd shifter is placed in the 4wd lo range position. Once the locker is engaged it will make both of the rear wheels spin at the same rate essentially locking the rear differential. If you engage the locker in 4 lo and take a sharp corner you will see and feel the inner wheel spinning at the same rate the outer wheel is spinning. Again only to be used in offroad situations. For great info on your new truck visit www.ttora.com %26lt;-- toyota owners offroad club

No comments:

Post a Comment